A car accident is a traumatic experience that could cause physical and mental health injuries. It’s important to find a qualified doctor and begin treatment right away. If you’re wondering how to find a car accident doctor in San Antonio, here’s what you need to do.
Ask the Right Questions
To find out if a doctor can treat your car accident injuries, be sure to ask them the following questions:
- Do you accept third party billing?
- What kinds of injuries do you treat?
- Do you handle medical documentation for car accidents?
- Do you offer pick up and drop off services? (If you’re unable to move or don’t have reliable transportation.)
- Do you provide referrals to specialists?
When searching for a car accident doctor in San Antonio, it’s important to find out if the doctor knows how to properly document your injuries and treatment. A primary care physician is not qualified or trained to create detailed records of your injuries, and this is exactly what an insurance company needs to see before they can make a settlement offer. The more detailed the notes, the stronger your claim will be and the higher settlement amount you could qualify for.
A doctor specializing in treating patients involved in car accidents will document the following information:
- How the accident occurred
- Pre-existing injuries or conditions
- List of medical tests done to evaluate the patient’s injuries and condition
- Requirements for physical therapy, occupational therapy, vocational rehabilitation, and etc.
- Referrals to other specialists for surgery or pain management
- Exact causes of particular injuries
- Severity of injuries — whether they are permanent or temporary
- Your long-term healthcare needs
- Impairment ratings — the extent to which your injuries impact your ability to work, perform daily activities, and enjoy life
Experience Billing Insurance Companies
The car accident doctor you choose should have experience billing auto insurance companies. This means they need to understand accurate CPT coding and authorization of appropriate medical procedures. Ask them how long they’ve worked as a car accident doctor and find out which insurance companies they deal with regularly.
Mental and Physical Health Treatment
A car accident may also cause mental health issues, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This condition commonly develops as a result of a dangerous and surprising experience, such as a car accident.
Individuals with PTSD may experience the following symptoms:
- Intrusive memories
- Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to triggers that remind you of the car accident
- Recurrent, unwanted, and distressing memories of the accident
- Avoiding thinking or talking about the accident
- Avoiding the location of the car accident
- Negative changes in thoughts and mood
- Memory problems
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships
- Feeling disconnected from family and friends
- Disinterest in activities you once enjoyed
- Emotional numbness
- Changes in physical and emotional reactions
- Self-destructive behavior
- Difficulty sleeping
- Difficulty concentrating
- Irritability, angry outbursts, or aggressive behavior
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or shame
If you’re experiencing symptoms of PTSD or any other mental or physical condition, call the best car accident doctor in San Antonio to schedule an appointment and receive the treatment you deserve.