Dr. Samaniego is the most trusted accident doctor in San Antonio — and for good reason. Dr. Sam, as his patients call him, has been in private practice since 1991 and has deposed thousands of accident-related cases. If you’re searching for an accident doctor in San Antonio, here’s how to find the right doctor for you.
1. Don’t look to your primary care physician for treatment.
You may have a great relationship with your primary care doctor, but they are simply not qualified to treat patients suffering from accident injuries. Primary care doctors typically treat patients with internal medical conditions, not spinal injuries, broken bones, concussions, and chronic pain caused by an accident.
Call your primary care doctor, tell him or her about your injuries, and ask for a referral to a specialist. They will direct you to a doctor specializing in car accident injuries or to a specialist who can treat your specific health problems.
2. A specialist doctor will create detailed records.
Another reason why you need to see an accident doctor is because they will know how to fill out your medical chart with information relevant to the insurance company processing the claim. The insurance company will use the information the accident doctor provides to set a value for the claim. A primary care physician is typically not concerned with recording highly detailed information about your injuries and treatment.
During an appointment, a specialist will record the following information:
- Sequence of events that occurred during the accident
- Pre-existing injuries or conditions
- List of medical tests done to evaluate your injuries and condition
- Prescriptions for physical therapy, occupational therapy, vocational rehabilitation, and etc.
- Visits to other specialists for surgery or pain management
- Exact causes of particular injuries
- Extent of injuries — whether they are permanent or temporary
- Your future healthcare needs
- Impairment ratings — the extent to which your injuries impact your ability to work, perform daily activities, and enjoy life
3. Find a doctor specializing in treating your specific type of injury.
If you have back pain, ask your lawyer to refer you to a chiropractor who works on a lien. If you have broken bones or muscle issues, then you need to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. If the accident has caused you significant mental distress, you may need to see a psychiatrist specializing in accident trauma.
4. Disclose all previous injuries.
It’s important to tell your accident doctor about any previous injuries or conditions you have received treatment for in the past or are currently being treated for. Hiding these pre-existing injuries or conditions will have a negative impact on your credibility and case. The insurance company could accuse you of deception and lower their settlement offer.
In fact, patients with pre-existing injuries are easier to hurt and harder to treat. In some states, patients with pre-existing injuries qualify for more treatment, not less.
5. Don’t skip appointments.
It’s important to demonstrate a desire to get well. This means you need to go to every appointment your accident doctor requires and take the necessary steps to obtain treatment.
As the most trusted accident doctor in San Antonio, Dr. Sam has helped thousands of patients get well — physically and mentally. Give the office a call today to schedule an appointment!